Throwing Down the Gauntlet
If you heard any triumphant screams or howls of pain emanating from 39th Street on Friday night, that was us squeezing over thirty of our baristas into the Fashion Avenue store for a team latte art throwdown, in which our shops competed against each other for money, bragging rights, and food (we love food). Our teams competed against each other in the following categories (some displays of skills we use to serve you every day, some a little weirder):
- Tulips: stacks on stacks on stacks of foam.
- Single Shot Medium Lattes: in which we attempt to get some definition with an ounce of espresso and 15 ounces of milk.
- Single Macchiatos: in which we attempt to get some art into an ounce of espresso with only one ounce of milk.
- Non-traditional Art: Rosettas, hearts, and tulips were not allowed; swans, hanging hearts, and dragons most certainly were.
- Blindfolded Latte Art: exactly what it sounds like.
- The Surprise Challenge: Blindfolded latte art, but with a guide standing in front of you giving you instructions.
- Freestyle: this one was filled with rosettas.
- The Rookie Challenge: in which our least experienced baristas made a solid first impression.
- Soy Latte Art: trying to make art with soy milk often leads to cursing.
- The Captains’ Challenge: The managers lead by example.
It was our first team throwdown and the way everybody banded together to cheer their teammates on all through the night was very heartening to see. Congrats to Perla, Joe, Josh, Frank, and both Rachels for keeping the trophy at Fashion Avenue; the other shops will be gunning for you next time.
Check out our Faceboook album of photos from the throwdown here, there will be more to come.